Position: Associate Director of the Migrant Education Program
Conexión Américas seeks qualified candidates for the position of Associate Director of the Migrant Education Program. This position will serve an important strategic role in overseeing a range of programs and services to migrant families in Tennessee. The successful candidate will demonstrate experience leading a team, managing a program and budget, and working across multiple education and public sectors for program success. The candidate must believe in the potential of every student, possess initiative, excellent communications skills in English and Spanish, be highly organized, self-motivated, compassionate and adaptable to working with people of diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. Only candidates who can demonstrate total commitment to the mission and values of Conexión Américas should apply. Please read about our mission and values on our website at www.conexionamericas.org.
Applications sent on job boards will not be considered and all application materials must be emailed. Please submit cover letter, resume and salary history to Sara Del Castillo, Director of People & Culture at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls or in-person inquiries, please.
This is a full-time position that reports to the Senior Director of Education Policy & Programs. Salary is based on experience and/or qualifications. We work in a collaborative, team-based, fast-paced environment. There are no private offices in our space and camaraderie is a value shared among all staff.
The Migrant Education Program (MEP) is a program established by the United States Department of Education. Conexión Américas is responsible for the implementation of the Migrant Education Program in the state of Tennessee. The fundamental purpose of the program is to remove barriers to academic success for migrant children (ages 3-21), and to promote academic achievement. The Associate Director will collaborate with local school districts, local and state agencies, and community partners to meet state and federal objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct all elements of the Migrant Education Program.
- Hire, train, supervise and support program staff, including building and supporting a leadership team.
- Develop regional and statewide strategies to address barriers to success for migrant youth.
- Oversee and ensure proper identification and recruitment of eligible migrant children and youth in Tennessee.
- Oversee delivery of services for migrant families and students, including summer enrichment and Parent Advisory Council meetings.
- Partner and support school systems with migrant students, local school personnel, and community agencies to ensure delivery of services.
- Supervise efforts by recruiters and staff to maintain accurate local, state and national data on migrant students.
- Oversee ongoing staff development and MEP trainings for school staff and other school administrators.
- Ensure program records and federal, local and state reports are accurate and submitted in a timely manner.
- Administer and monitor program budget, expenses and invoicing.
- Oversee all communications and outreach for the Migrant Education Program.
- Assure compliance with federal, state and local MEP regulations.
- Attend local, regional or national MEP meetings and conferences on behalf of the Tennessee Migrant Education Program.
General Organization Support Duties:
- Speaks or makes presentations on behalf of the Migrant Education Program and Conexión Américas at events and conferences
- Communicates in a positive and effective manner Conexión Américas’ mission and programs
- Attends and provides support as needed to organizational events and fundraisers
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed above. As with every other job at Conexión Américas, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to respond to new demands and to assure a cooperative environment.
Qualifications (Education and Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in field required; Master’s degree preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication in English required, bilingualism in Spanish and biculturalism required
- Ability and willingness to travel across the state, and to work some evenings and weekends as necessary
- Flexibility, creativity, initiative and ability to work as a team member
- Ability to interact with diverse groups of stakeholders
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and strict timelines
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office and database management
- Demonstrated appreciation for Latino culture and families, as well as other immigrant and refugee groups Experience managing volunteers/interns preferred
- Experience and knowledge of nonprofit organizations’ operations preferred
About Conexión Américas
Conexión Américas is a Latino nonprofit organization based in Nashville, TN. Our mission is to build a welcoming community and create opportunities where Latino families can belong, contribute and succeed. Our organization was founded in 2002 to address some of the most pressing challenges created by recent demographic changes in Middle Tennessee as an increasing number of Latino families come to this region searching for a better quality of life.
We focus on four areas of community impact:
Social Integration (family engagement, youth development and English as a Second Language), Economic Integration (homeownership, micro-entrepreneurship and taxpayer education/assistance), Civic Integration (community education through workshops and grassroots leadership development) and Community Development (arts and placemaking).
For more information about Conexión Américas, visit us at www.conexionamericas.org and check our organization’s profile at www.GivingMatters.com