To qualify for the Migrant Education Program, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Is between 3 and 21 years old and has not graduated from high school; and
- Is a migratory agricultural worker or fisher, or has a parent, spouse, or guardian who is a migratory agricultural worker or fisher; and
- Has moved within the preceding 36 months (from one school district to another) in order to obtain or accompany a parent, spouse or guardian who moved to obtain, temporary or seasonal work in agriculture, poultry, dairy, food processing or fishing.
☐ SCHOOL COMPLETION
The child is eligible for a free public education under State law.
☐TIME OF THE MOVE
The move occurred within the past 36 months.
The child is younger than age 22.
- The child moved on his or her own as a migratory agricultural worker/migratory fisher OR the child moved with or to join a parent, spouse, or guardian who is a migratory agricultural worker/migratory fisher.
- The move was from one school district to another.
- The move was a change from one residence to another residence.
- The move was due to economic necessity.
- The move occurred within the past 36 months.
☐ PURPOSE FOR THE MOVE
One purpose of the worker’s move was to seek or obtain qualifying work.
- The worker moved to obtain qualifying work and obtained it, OR
- The worker moved to obtain any work and obtained qualifying work soon after the move, OR
- The worker moved for qualifying work specifically, but did not obtain the work, AND
- The worker has a prior history of moves to obtain qualifying work, OR
- There is other credible evidence that the worker actively sought qualifying work soon after the move.
WHAT IS QUALIFYING WORK?
- The employment is seasonal or temporary, AND
- The work is agricultural or fishing.
- “Agricultural work” is: 1. the production or initial processing of crops, dairy products, poultry or livestock; as well as the cultivation or harvesting of trees.