Mi Casa es Tu Casa: A Home for All
Conexión Américas, which celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2012, is proud and excited to share details with you about Casa Azafrán, a home we are sharing with a collective of other well-known Nashville-area nonprofits and partners.
We hope that after you learn more about Casa Azafrán, you will be as inspired as we are by the possibilities it holds for our city and for all Nashville residents.
Conexión Américas purchased the 28,800-square-foot building, at 2195 Nolensville Pike, in December 2011.
The ground-breaking was held April 21 and the Grand Opening was held Dec. 1, 2012.
Why Casa Azafrán
Casa Azafrán is both a project and a process emblematic of the welcoming spirit that Nashville has demonstrated to those who have come from all over the world to call Middle Tennessee home.
Conveniently located near downtown– between the state fairgrounds and I-440 — Casa Azafrán is the gateway to Nashville’s most international and socially diverse district.
Casa Azafrán will serve all area residents. It will be a place for education, health services, entrepreneurship training, culinary and artistic expression, volunteerism, community building, events. It also is a smart way for nonprofits to share resources, meeting and training spaces and opportunities.
Conexión Américas is the lead partner and building operator. Joining us are talented partners with long histories of good works:
- American Center for Outreach
- American Muslim Advisory Council
- Family and Children’s Service
- Financial Empowerment Center
- Global Education Center
- Justice for Our Neighbors of Tennessee
- Mesa Komal Commercial Kitchen and Culinary Incubator
- Tennessee Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition
- United Neighborhood Health Services
We are excited by conversations with other potential partners, and the center will be available to use by others who wish to rent it for classes, meetings or events.
Our new casa is everyone’s home, and Casa Azafrán’s goals are:
- Be a catalyst for promoting South Nashville, and the Nolensville Pike corridor, as regional assets and a focal center for economic development.
- Provide local residents with access to health services.
- Promote entrepreneurship and job creation by providing training spaces and a computer lab to expand our Negocio Próspero (Prosperous Business) basic business training program into a comprehensive small business development center.
- Benefit food entrepreneurs who can rent and use a shared-cost, licensed commercial kitchen to start, or grow, their businesses. Food entrepreneurs also will receive training on food safety and sanitation, product development, marketing, finances and operations.
- Encourage education in the 2,600-square-foot Learning Center, where residents can participate in adult education, and youth and family literacy, among other classes.
- Promote public art in the Community Art Gallery and in The Courtyard, which is reminiscent of traditional courtyards in Spanish and Moorish architecture, and will be available for event rentals.
Casa Azafrán is a private/public partnership. Of the $5 million estimated cost, we have raised more than $3.3 million to date.
Please help us spread the word about this exciting venture by sharing this news with your friends, and join with us to make the Casa Azafrán Community Center a home for all.