Position: Bilingual GEAR UP Program Coordinator
Conexión Américas seeks qualified candidates for the full-time position of GEAR Up Coordinator. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication skills in English and Spanish and significant experience in working with Latino populations. The candidate will also demonstrate an understanding of challenges relating to youth development and college access in low-income communities, specifically in the Latino immigrant community. Experience with education, college access, or leadership development preferred. The successful candidate must be highly organized, compassionate, possess a high level of initiative, and be adaptable to working with people of diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. Applicants must have advanced or native level fluency in Spanish, as student services are delivered primarily in Spanish.
Only candidates who can demonstrate total commitment to the mission and values of Conexión Américas should apply. Please read about our mission and values on our website at www.conexionamericas.org.
This is a permanent, full-time staff position that reports to the Associate Director of Educational Success. The GEAR Up Coordinator will be responsible for managing daily GEAR UP program operations and activities in four assigned high school sites. GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federal college access grant awarded to MNPS (Metro Nashville Public Schools) that begins with serving a cohort of 7th and 8th grade students and will follow these students for six years until the 7th grade class enters postsecondary. During the 2022-2023 school year, it will serve these students in their 10th and 11th grader year. Conexión Américas is a GEAR UP partner with MNPS, providing services to Latino/EL students and families with the aim of increasing enrollment and success in postsecondary education. This will be done by providing culturally responsive student programming (including in school class meetings and after school events), parent workshops and communication, college and career field trips, staff training on serving Latino students, and a week long summer program in June or July.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides strategic college readiness and awareness services for Latino and EL students and families, including academic planning, preparation and career exploration
- Provide one-on-one case management and in-school programming for 20 students per school or 80 students overall
- Work closely with Metro Nashville Public School GEAR UP staff at the four assigned high school sites
- Develop and maintain partnerships with post-secondary institutions and other key stakeholders to provide students with post-secondary exposure and experiences
- Coordinates outreach and retention efforts to successfully meet designated program goals
- Creates and supports activities and workshops to provide information to families regarding the college entrance process, course selection, and financial aid process
- Creates and delivers culturally relevant and high quality lessons and presentations to students and their parents
- Ensures alignment of GEAR UP program with existing Conexión Américas education programs: parent engagement, after school programs, and college access and success.
- Serves as the main information source and point of contact for Latino students and families participating in the case management
- Tracks attendance and maintains accurate data on all program participants.
- Works closely with school administrators and staff to communicate program progress, and alignment to school goals
- Integrates social and emotional development strategies in programming
- Coordinates special events and program field trips
- Oversees budget for programming
- Evaluates workshop and program activities, including analysis of outcomes and recommendations for improvements, and reports program information to funders and other stakeholders
- Works to ensure that all projects and activities align with the overall vision and goals of the GEAR UP initiative
- Supports all other Conexión Américas Youth Programming
General Organizational Support:
- Communicates in a positive and effective manner Conexión Américas’ mission and programs
- Assists with fairs and outreach events on behalf of Conexión Américas to talk about all of Conexión Américas’ programs
- Attends and provides support as needed to organizational events and fundraisers
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed above. As with every other job at Conexión Américas, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to respond to new demands and to assure a collaborative environment.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education and Experience)
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Spanish required, biculturalism preferred
- Flexibility, creativity, initiative and ability to work as a team member required
- Ability to interact with diverse groups of stakeholders required
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and strict timelines required
- Flexible schedule required
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends required
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and database management required
- Reliable transportation required
- Demonstrated appreciation for Latino culture and people required
- Strong understanding of Latino culture and Latino issues in the U.S required
- Ability to carry up to 50 lbs. preferred
- Experience and knowledge of nonprofit organizations' operations preferred
Salary and Benefits
- The salary ranges from $40,000 to $44,000, commensurate with experience and education.
- Medical and Dental insurance
- PTO Benefits: 18 vacation/personal days and 12 sick days for all full-time employees
- Holidays – 10 paid holidays for all full-time employees
- Flexible 9-5pm schedule, with occasional evenings or Saturdays as needed
- Paid parental leave for full-time employees who complete two years with the organization
- Ongoing training and development
About Conexión Américas
Conexión Américas is a Latino nonprofit organization based in Nashville, TN. Our mission is to build a welcoming community and create opportunities where Latino families can belong, contribute and succeed. Our organization was founded in 2002 to address some of the most pressing challenges created by recent demographic changes in Middle Tennessee as an increasing number of Latino families come to this region searching for a better quality of life.
We focus on four areas of community impact:
Social Integration (family engagement, youth development and English as a Second Language),
Economic Integration (homeownership, micro-entrepreneurship and taxpayer education/assistance),
Civic Integration (community education through workshops and grassroots leadership development) and Community Development (arts and placemaking).
For more information about Conexión Américas, visit us at www.conexionamericas.org and check our organization’s profile at www.GivingMatters.com
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and references to Maria Paula Zapata, Director of Programs, via email to email@example.com. Indeed submissions with only a resume will not be considered. All interviews will be conducted in English and Spanish.
No phone calls or in-person inquiries, please.