Conexión Américas- Migrant Education Program (MEP)
Position: Youth Education Advisor
Conexión Américas is currently looking for qualified candidates in the following counties: Bedford, Davidson, Macon, Montgomery, Robertson and/or Rutherford
The MEP Youth Education Advisor provides educational services and support to eligible children (ages 3-21) enrolled in the Migrant Education Program in Tennessee. The MEP Youth Education Advisor will assess the academic needs of the students and provide supplemental academic support services such as homework help and tutoring, and other services. Additional activities include the identification and recruitment of migrant students eligible for participation in the Migrant Education Program. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong experience working in an educational setting, particularly with young students and families, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to successfully collaborate with school personnel, students, and other support agencies. The ideal candidate must also possess a thorough understanding of the region where they will work. Fluency in Spanish and experience working with immigrant populations is required.
Only candidates who can demonstrate total commitment to the mission and values of Conexión Américas and the Migrant Education Program should apply. Please read about our mission and values on our website at www.conexionamericas.org. Applications sent on job boards will not be considered and all application materials must be emailed.
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary history to Sara Del Castillo, Director of People & Culture at email@example.com. No phone calls or in-person inquiries, please.
Position Description: The MEP Youth Education Advisor reports to the Associate Director of the Migrant Education Program. This is a full-time positions salary depends on experience and/or qualifications. The Migrant Education Program (MEP) is a program established by the United States Department of Education. Conexión Américas is responsible for the implementation of the Migrant Education Program in the state of Tennessee. The fundamental purpose of the program is to remove barriers to academic success for migrant children (ages 3-21), and to promote academic achievement.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Evaluates the academic needs of each migrant student and creates an education plan.
- Enters appropriate data and reports in a timely manner.
- Maintains appropriate records of student progress and all services provided.
- Connects with local school administrators, businesses, and other organizations in the community to identify and recruit eligible students.
- Builds relationships with students and families to deliver effective services.
- Provides referrals to educational, social, and other services as needed.
- Coordinates wrap – around services for students and families.
- Serves as a liaison between school districts, school personnel, families and the Migrant Education Program.
- Plans and conduct outreach in assigned counties.
- Provides supportive services to migrant youth and families and refers migrant families and students to appropriate, health, social or legal services
- Provides tutoring services at school, migrant homes, and other appropriate locations.
- Creates a tutoring schedule for each student.
- Distributes home study materials to families enrolled in the program.
- Provides individual/small group tutoring to migrant students in English, Math and other core subjects.
- Collects and prepares instructional materials; assembles worksheets, lessons and other needed materials.
- Manages, adapts, and updates lessons as needed to fit the needs of each student.
- Assists with recruitment and enrollment of migrant students.
General Organization Support Duties:
- Speaks or makes presentations on behalf of Conexión Américas at events and conferences.
- Communicates in a positive and effective manner Conexión Américas’ mission and programs.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed above. As with every other job at Conexión Américas, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to respond to new demands and to assure a cooperative environment.
Qualifications (Education and Experience):
- High School diploma required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication in English required, bilingualism in Spanish required.
- Flexibility, creativity, initiative and ability to work as a team member, required.
- Ability to interact with diverse groups of stakeholders, required.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and strict timelines, required.
- Must pass background check and language assessment.
- Must have reliable transportation and possess a valid TN Driver's License and auto insurance.
- Experience working with ESL or ELL students, preferred.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including afternoons, evenings, and weekends, to provide services to students outside of regular school hours, required.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office and database management, required.
- Demonstrated appreciation for Latino culture and families, as well as other immigrant and refugee groups, preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of nonprofit organizations’ operations preferred.
About Conexión Américas:
Conexión Américas is a Latino nonprofit organization based in Nashville, TN. Our mission at Conexión Américas is to build a welcoming community and create opportunities where Latino families can belong, contribute and succeed. Conexión Américas is an advocacy and direct-service organization. We focus on four areas of community impact: Social Integration (family engagement, youth development and English as a Second Language), Economic Integration (homeownership, microentrepreneurship and taxpayer education/assistance), Civic Integration (advocacy and grassroots leadership development) and Community Development (arts and placemaking).
For more information about Conexión Américas, visit us at www.conexionamericas.org and check our organization’s profile at www.GivingMatters.com.