Position: Migrant Education Program Community Outreach Liaison
Conexión Américas is currently looking for qualified candidates and has a high need for candidates living in or in close proximity to Region 3 of the Migrant Education Program. Region 3 covers most of Middle Tennessee close to the Nashville area. This job will require candidates to spend part of their time reaching out to community members throughout this region to enroll them in the Migrant Education Program. Consequently, we are accepting applications from candidates who live or plan to live in or near this region of Tennessee.
The primary responsibility of the MEP Community Outreach Liaisons is to identify recruit and enroll eligible migrant students (ages 3-21) into the MEP. The successful candidate must be fluent in English and Spanish, highly organized and must possess a thorough understanding of the region where they will work. Only candidates who can demonstrate total commitment to the mission and values of Conexión Américas and the Migrant Education Program should apply. Please read about our mission and values on our website www.conexionamericas.org.
Please email cover letter, resume, 2 references and salary history to: Sara Del Castillo, Director of People and Culture at email@example.com. No phone or in person inquiries, please.
The MEP Community Outreach Liaison reports to the Region Identification and Recruitment Coordinator and is responsible for the proper identification and recruitment of eligible students in the designated counties. This is a full –time position and wages depend on experience and/or qualifications.
The Migrant Education Program (MEP) is a program established by the United States Department of Education. Conexión Américas is responsible for the implementation of the Migrant Education Program in the state of Tennessee. The fundamental purpose of the program is to remove barriers to academic success for migrant children (ages 3-21), and to promote academic achievement.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Connect with local school administrators, businesses, and other organizations in the community to identify and recruit eligible students.
- Follow up with referrals of potential participants from local school districts and community organizations
- Help recruit potential participants by providing information to them about the various benefits offered to enrolled children and families.
- Aid local service providers in verifying student enrollment and contact information
- Complete Certificates of Eligibility for each student and conduct follow up with migrant families.
- Enter appropriate data and reports in a timely manner.
- Maintain appropriate records of recruitment and other activities.
- Plan and conduct outreach in assigned counties.
- Research agricultural trends in the designated counties.
- Provide supportive services to migrant youth and families and refer migrant families and students to appropriate, health, social or legal services.
- Provide educational services such as English language lessons, life skills lessons, and more to Out of School Youth in the region.
- Travel to different locations, including homes, farms, packing houses, schools, and other locations throughout the community to identify and recruit students.
General Organization Support Duties:
- Speaks or makes presentations on behalf of Conexión Américas at events and conferences.
- Communicates in a positive and effective manner Conexión Américas’ mission and programs.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed above. As with every other job at Conexión Américas, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to respond to new demands and to assure a cooperative environment.
Qualifications (Education and Experience):
- Excellent written and oral communication in English required, bilingualism in Spanish required.
- Experience working in educational settings (i.e. Pre-k or Head Start, K-12 school systems, or adult education).
- Experience with social service delivery, particularly in rural settings.
- Ability to work in diverse settings (schools, homes, farms, community centers).
- Experience managing and utilizing data and information to solve problems and make decisions.
- Ability to utilize technology to communicate internally and externally, prepare reports, record information, and determine program improvement.
- Must have reliable transportation and possess a valid TN Driver's License and automobile insurance.
- Must be able to attend regional and state in-service trainings and meetings.
- Must pass background check and language assessment.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including afternoons, evenings, and weekends, required.
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and strict timelines, required.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office and database management, required.
- Demonstrated appreciation for Latino culture and families, as well as other immigrant and refugee groups, required.
- Experience and knowledge of nonprofit organizations’ operations, preferred.
About Conexión Américas
Conexión Américas is a Latino nonprofit organization based in Nashville, TN. Our mission at Conexión Américas is to build a welcoming community and create opportunities where Latino families can belong, contribute and succeed. Conexión Américas is an advocacy and direct-service organization. We focus on four areas of community impact: Social Integration (family engagement, youth development and English as a Second Language), Economic Integration (homeownership, micro-entrepreneurship and taxpayer education/assistance), Civic Integration (advocacy and grassroots leadership development) and Community Development (arts and placemaking).