Position: Associate Director of Economic Opportunity
Conexión Américas seeks qualified candidates for the position of Associate Director of Economic Opportunity. This full-time staff position will be responsible for the overall program management of Conexión Américas’ Economic Development Programs as well as direct interaction with program participants. The Associate Director of Economic Opportunity will report directly to Conexión Américas’ Senior Director of Economic Development Programs.
The successful candidate will lead an integrated approach to supporting programming related to the entrepreneurship initiatives at Conexion Americas that seek to support micro entrepreneurs of all backgrounds in starting or growing their business. The successful candidate is someone who is self-motivated, high energy, and skilled in working with multiple diverse stakeholders. They must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, the ability to work in teams, and experience creating and implementing strategies to achieve a vision. Ideal candidates can relate to small business owners and have a passion for microenterprise development.
The position has two main objectives: a) working one-on-one to provide technical assistance to program participants at various stages of their entrepreneurial journey, and b) managing a team of 4-6 in the Economic Integration department, providing support and leadership to accomplish programmatic roles.
As such, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to directly supervise 4-6 team members while having a visionary perspective for each program. This position is also responsible for nurturing, developing, and maintaining relationships with partner organizations and resources as part of the broader entrepreneurial ecosystem in Nashville.
Native/Advanced level bilingualism in Spanish is required (part of the interview will be conducted in Spanish). Only candidates who can demonstrate total commitment to the mission and values of Conexión Américas should apply. Please read about our mission and values on our website at www.conexionamericas.org. Please submit cover letter, resume, and references to Martha Silva, Senior Director of Economic Integration, via email to email@example.com. No phone calls or in-person inquiries, please.
The successful candidate:
- Is self-motivated; comfortable working independently
- Has high energy levels and is able to interact with multiple stakeholders
- Has strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Is able to work in a team environment
- Has the ability to relate to small business owners, regardless of professions or background
- Has a strong interest in microenterprise development and economic development
- Has the ability to learn quickly and apply knowledge
- Is bilingual and bicultural. Please note that part of the interview will take place in Spanish."
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deliver/implement Economic Development Programs
- Accountable for overall program results and quality
- Accountable for timeliness and integrity of data entry in relevant systems
- Manage external relationships (such as partners, volunteers, supporters)
- Manage overall program budget
- Provide support and direct supervision to program team
- Provide support to prepare program reports
- Coordinates and/or participates in efforts to build relationships with local micro enterprise developers to establish and develop training opportunities
- Participates, as assigned, as a member of community groups and organizations to promote local business and economic development within the service area
- Meets with program participants in a one-on-one setting on a daily basis
- Advises program participants in micro and small business management practices, methods, and techniques
- Participates in the development, promotion, coordination, and delivery of small business management training programs and workshops lead in-house at Conexión Américas or by partner organizations
- Monitors operational activities and effectiveness of results and prepares reports as appropriate
- Refers participants to in-house or external resources, as needed, including for matters beyond business-related needs
- Collaborates with all of Conexión Américas’ staff, including members of the Economic Opportunity team to ensure that Conexión Américas’ financial stability and microenterprise programs are offered participants across the organization
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
General Organization Support Duties:
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed above. As with every other position at Conexión Américas, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to respond to new demands and to assure a cooperative environment.
Qualifications (Education and Experience):
- Bachelor's degree required; at least one year of experience in economic and community development; required
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis. Accredited educational institutions from outside the United States will be considered.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish; required. Please note that part of the interview will take place in Spanish.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles and practices of all functional areas of small business operations; required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Records maintenance skills
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications
- Ability to develop and present educational programs and/or workshops in English and Spanish
- Ability to oversee program development, promotion, participant enrollment and retention
About Conexión Américas
Conexión Américas is a statewide Latino nonprofit organization based in Nashville, Tennessee. Our mission is to build a welcoming community and create opportunities where Latino families can belong, contribute and succeed. Our organization was founded in 2002 to address some of the most pressing challenges created by recent demographic changes in Middle Tennessee as Latino families come to this region searching for a better quality of life.
We focus on four areas of community impact:
Social Integration(family engagement, youth development and English as a Second Language), Economic Development (homeownership, micro-entrepreneurship and taxpayer education/assistance), Civic Integration(community education through workshops and grassroots leadership development) and Community Development(arts and placemaking).
For more information about Conexión Américas, visit us at www.conexionamericas.org and check our organization’s profile at www.GivingMatters.com