Position: College Success Coach
Conexión Américas seeks qualified candidates for the position of College Success Coach. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong mentoring skills and significant experience in the public education system and working with immigrant and refugee populations. Experience with postsecondary students and leadership development preferred. The successful candidate must be highly organized, possess initiative, believe in the potential of every student, and be adaptable to working with people of diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. Only candidates who can demonstrate total commitment to the mission and values of Conexión Américas should apply. Please read about our mission and values on our website at www.conexionamericas.org .
Please submit cover letter, resume and two references to Sara Del Castillo, Director of People & Culture, via email to email@example.com. No phone calls or in-person inquiries, please.
This is a permanent, full-time staff position that reports to the Associate Director of Education Programs.
The College Success Coach will be responsible for supporting the organization’s postsecondary success initiatives, including ongoing case management and coaching for graduates of the Escalera College Access Program from Cane Ridge and Antioch High Schools, as well as supporting adult students interested in postsecondary attainment and acting as a point of contact for partnerships & college access related requests by outside organizations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the implementation of the College Success program
- Plans and conducts outreach to connect with students in the program, beginning during their senior year of high school
- Helps to maintain and enhance community among each Escalera cohort
- Supports annual Summer Bridge Program for graduating Escalera students to help them prepare for college
- Leads meetings with current and prospective college students, including Escalera graduates and adult students interested in postsecondary attainment
- Tracks student enrollment and college retention. Assists Escalera graduates with re-enrollment
- Manages, adapts, and updates the College Success program as needed to fit the needs of each cohort
- Coordinates wraparound case management services for students including academic tutoring, class selection planning, financial aid, career discovery, and leadership and professional development
- Provides one-on-one individual counseling for students and regarding their career exploration, college enrollment process, etc.
- Supports students in meeting requirements to successfully complete their program/degree
- Conducts outcome tracking to measure and report success of the program
- Partners with community organizations and post-secondary institutions to ensure that students have necessary resources and support
- Maintains and updates organizational database with accurate student data (student enrollment, retention, etc.)
- Along with the other Escalera team members, may help coordinate college tours, parent workshops, and other supporting events and activities for students and their families
- Serves as an organizational resource for postsecondary-related matters, including questions and college counseling appointments by community members
- Maintains and supports community partnerships & requests as they relate to college access counseling, trainings, sharing resources, and effective practices for supporting immigrant and refugee students
- Continually grows and maintains knowledge of post secondary education and barriers to immigrant and refugee students’ college success through the use of current research data
- Communicate students’ needs to a wide range of stakeholders including high schools, higher education institutions, and partner organizations
- Substitutes for Escalera and NAZA after-school programs, when needed
General Organization Support Duties:
- Speaks or makes presentations on behalf of Conexión Américas at events and conferences
- Communicates in a positive and effective manner Conexión Américas’ mission and programs
- Assists with fairs and outreach events on behalf of Conexión Américas to talk about all of Conexión Américas’ programs
- Attends and provides support as needed to organizational events and fundraisers
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed above. As with every other job at Conexión Américas, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to respond to new demands and to assure a cooperative environment.
Qualifications (Education and Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field required; Master’s degree preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication in English required, bilingualism in Spanish or Arabic and biculturalism required
- Flexibility, creativity, initiative and ability to work as a team member
- Ability to interact with diverse groups of stakeholders
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple tasks and work in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and strict timelines
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office and database management
- Demonstrated appreciation for Latino culture and families, as well as other immigrant and refugee groups. Experience managing volunteers/interns preferred
- Experience working with young people and in public schools preferred
- Experience and knowledge of nonprofit organizations’ operations preferred
About Conexión Américas
Conexión Américas is a Latino nonprofit organization based in Nashville, TN. Our mission is to build a welcoming community and create opportunities where Latino families can belong, contribute and succeed. Our organization was founded in 2002 to address some of the most pressing challenges created by recent demographic changes in Middle Tennessee as an increasing number of Latino families come to this region searching for a better quality of life.
We focus on four areas of community impact:
Social Integration (family engagement, youth development and English as a Second Language), Economic Integration (homeownership, micro-entrepreneurship and taxpayer education/assistance), Civic Integration (community education through workshops and grassroots leadership development) and Community Development (arts and placemaking).
For more information about Conexión Américas, visit us at www.conexionamericas.org and check our organization’s profile at www.GivingMatters.com